To put this story in context…the Superintendent of Region One IS THE BRIDGE between the large and small towns of Region One….and her pay should remain proportioned the way it is now….just like the formula for the bridge between Falls Village and Salisbury.
First Selectman Patricia A. Mechare told the Board of Finance that Black and Warner, the low bidder for the replacement of the Water Street Bridge (also known as the Amesville Bridge in Salisbury), has backed out.
The next lowest bidder is New England Fabricators. The bridge, which spans the Housatonic River between Salisbury and Falls Village, has been closed for several years due to its deteriorating condition.
Salisbury First Selectman Curtis G. Rand said the cost would be $2.8 million. He said they are hoping to sign the contract any day now. The state and federal governments will pay 80 percent of the cost and the two towns will split the remaining 20 percent; three-fourths for Salisbury and one fourth for Falls Village.
The project will have several parts: getting the old bridge out, fixing the abutments and drilling new piles behind them, putting the trusses together and paving. The new span, which will be 20 feet wide, six feet wider than the current one, will be constructed off site.
The plan is to have the builders work seven days a week to complete the project before winter sets in. The Appalachian Trail, which crosses the river there, will be rerouted during the work.
This may be funny, but so true….why I am against so many standardized tests like Common Core, etc….
Last year the budget passed by a total of 360 votes. This year the budget passed by only 197 votes.
Yes votes LOST 107 votes from last year and the NO votes GAINED 56 vote from last year…..
Has the A.B.C arrogance started to created a rift? Only time will tell.
Polls open today at all town halls 12 noon until 8 pm.
Region One Report asks you to vote no this time to show your displeasure with the attitude of the A,.B,C.
The arrogance of the A.B.C with their refusal to scrap the “1/7” plan
The “bullying” of Falls Village (the A.B.C. obviously did not learn anything about the tactics that cost Region 1 over $400,000 in buy-out and “retirement” money)
No vision, and inactivity over the past two years on the problem of declining enrollment in Region One. Lots of talk, not committees, no plans being developed. It will take several more years to develop and institute a plan and we just wasted two years.
For those reasons, and the plain fact that the A.B.C. refuses to engage in any compromise, I will vote NO on May 5 to show my displeasure..it seems they (the A.B.C)won’t listen to anything else.
I urge you to vote no as well.
We need a war on poverty, not teachers
click on link….