New Fairfield Superintendent Uses Homemade “Magical Olive Branch” to Fix District Problems
Here is what Fairfield residents have said in the past….
We represent concerned citizens, relatives, friends and parents of special needs children in the New Fairfield Public School District. Since our children have been attending New Fairfield Schools, there has been a systemic lack of effective educational programming, appropriate behavior management techniques, and a lack of current knowledge of contemporary teaching methodologies for children with special needs. Special needs children in New Fairfield with behavioral health issues are contained in isolation, restrained by staff and frequently traumatized in an environment where they should feel safe, by personnel they should be able to trust and rely upon. New Fairfield faculty and staff do not receive current and consistent training to enable them to properly educate our children according to lawful Free and Appropriate Public Education requirements, and according to the laws of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. This broken and callous system is causing widespread emotional and psychological damage to the students, their families and the New Fairfield community.
The New Fairfield Schools Superintendent has constructed a Special Education Department run by an administration that is unprofessional, unresponsive and downright hostile to the needs of our children and our families. They are rude and intransigent in Planning and Placement meetings, do not return calls or e-mails, and marginalize our children as being “problems” within the larger district that must be “dealt with”. We, as parents, are made to feel unwelcome and disrespected, and as if our children are unwanted and a financial drain on this community. In keeping with this, the administration has also failed to provide any enrichment or after-school activities for special needs children in this town. While typical children are attending clubs, athletic and social events each day that enhance their education and enrich their lives, our children are surreptitiously bused back to their homes and hidden from public view.
While there are clearly some children who will always require outplacement to meet their academic goals, this school district leaves many special needs parents with no alternative but to hire legal representation and pursue private outplacement as a last resort. These subsequent private outplacements are not the least restrictive environments for our children, nor are they a solution to the problems that plague this district. They are expensive, and further isolate our children due to the long commutes and separation of our children from their community, their families and their peers.
For the foregoing reasons, we are requesting a reputable, independent evaluation of the New Fairfield Special Education Department to be conducted immediately. This evaluation needs to encompass programming and training, as well as the overall performance of Special Education administration and staff. Any evaluation must include a thorough examination of all record-keeping, paperwork and the appropriateness of, and adherence to, existing Individualized Educational Plans and subsequent accommodations. We also request an independent audit of district-wide special education policies and procedures, and want the recommendations of this evaluating body implemented forthwith, to include an immediate restructuring of the Special Education administration and the creation of meaningful enrichment opportunities for our children.
Here is a compilation of advice sent to the Region One Report from Fairfield Residents…read and learn:
Our school performace declined.
Her (Dr. Roy) narrative about what happened is false.
The teachers only jumped on the bandwagon after parents softened her up.
Please note – nearly the entire BOE has turned over in 3 years
And note – nearly the entire BOE has turned over in 3 years
Reach out the the new fairfield efducation forum and join. Lots of content there.
1 Not listening to teachers, students and parents in the set up and implementation of a new schedule system and new grading system
2) An announcement is made that possibly 50% of athletes might not be able to participate due to the new grading policy
3) When the system crashes Mrs. Vogel schedules a speaker with a (“dubious history”), and the scheduled speaker also having been convicted of bank fraud….
4) After years of not only being superintendent, but also being the de facto principal of the high school, the principal of the high school finally resigns….
5) The Boards Of Education under the direction of Pam Vogel have “frozen out” public participation in search committees for administrative positions with internet surveys of parents and poorly publicized meeting. When such meeting occur, it is to be interviews by another paid consultant provided to the region by CABE (a waste of taxpayer dollars to an organization that is against public participation in searches and is anti-teacher)…
6) Mrs. Vogel if you watch almost all the board of education meeting videos runs almost every board meeting she is at…and look very close and see that with the Region One Board..the Board Chair and the ABC Chair do not even know the proper way to execute a “executive session”….
7) Most of the “executive sessions” are not called properly with correct information on the notice of the meeting….
8) Transparency and teacher, student and taxpayer participation are now basically non-existent (except the board of educations, who, for the most part with a few individual exceptions), appear to be caught under some spell of total support of Vogel and lack of support for teachers, student and taxpayers…
9) Vocal student disgust with Pam Vogel and her handling of all of the above, and teachers who can not speak out public for fear of losing their jobs, and parents and taxpayers who do speak out fear retribution to their family members in school in Region One….
10) And now, déjà vu all over again with the hiring of a new principal who brings a load of negative excess baggage to our system at a time when it is NOT needed (Vogel and the board learned nothing from the outrage taxpayers, students and parents showed just months earlier to the speaker who Vogel selected to come to try and explain the benefits of the new grading system)…
Lies and false promises right from the start of her tenure….secrecy and back room deals right from the start of her tenure…poor decisions, poor understanding (or not caring to understand) local taxpayers, students and teachers and a bad selection of character right from the start……
When will the local boards become independent again, when will they realize that THEY are the boss, and Pam Vogel responds and answers to them, not the other way around. If you are elected to the board, we appreciate your service, but please, stop following Pam Vogel dragging Region One down the drain.
Please, local board members, stop this madness, it is in your hands.
Does anyone in the administration, or on the boards know about “Google”?
I noticed your comment on the region one board and have to comment. The Health insurance was barely the tip of the iceberg for teachers here in New Fairfield OMG I can’t believe anyone hired that woman the story she left behind goes so beyond just the health benefits she did what she does best – lie. Feel free to join the New Fairfield Parents Education Forum, we’ve had financial issues, SPED issues, low teacher moral, fallen to the bottom of our DRG, you name it. She looks great on paper because that’s all she accumulates, our middle school of the year award – meaningless paper. But we do have an award from CABE for our calendar – which actually featured the 34th as a date….She will bring that district down like a rock.
At it’s meeting March 8, 2018, the North Canaan Board Of Education hired a new principal: Alicia Roy, Superintendent of Schools in New Fairfield, Connecticut. Roy’s salary is $130,000 a year with health insurance paid %100, and the contract also includes life insurance. See links below on stories on Alicia Roy: